When I arrived at Athens, I knew why I wanted to always visit Greece. It is simply beautiful.
I only had 4 days but packed it with wonderful memories and left with a wish to revisit again.
Things I would recommend are:-
1. Historical sites – There is so much to see but it would be remiss of me not to mention the Acropolis- what an amazing view. However my favourite was The Temple of Zeus – felt so much as peace there…it was quiet, serene and soulful.
2. Shopping – Plaka would be the place to go to – grab coffee at one of the quaint restaurants and don’t worry if it is cold, they have outside heaters 🙂 Loved the cobbled streets and array of shops there.
3. Food – Orizontes on Lycabettus Hill is amazing – pricey but the views more than make up for it. Gazi and Plaka have loads of lovely authentic Greek restaurants too. For me as a vegetarian, there was choice but limited.
4. The beach, the Olympic stadium, the Botanical Garden, taking the Metro and the taxi and the cable up the Mountain….
5. Day Trip from Athens – I went to Delphi – such a contrast…mountains, scenes that took my breath away, villages with restaurants that made you never want to leave…it was wonderful.